Join Our Team
Do you have a passion for helping small businesses?
Work with a network of small business experts and consultants to help Michigan small business owners start or grow their business! We have offices throughout the state with open positions for the following positions:
View Open Job Postings
Business Consultant Senior – Regional Small Business Development Center
Job no: 0606491
Position type: Full Time, Regular
Categories: Haworth College of Business
LEARN MORE AND APPLY
– Provides business counseling and training services to small business owners, would-be entrepreneurs and to individuals and firms developing new products, technologies or markets.
– Develops and manages a client to provide in-depth one-on-one consulting assistance to pre-venture, startup and existing business owners in areas of business planning, financing, loan packaging, marketing, human resources, demographics and other areas of management and technical support in order to promote small business growth, expansion and productivity.
– Assists with clients in assessing capital through both traditional and non-traditional funding institutions.
– Assists with preparing business loan proposals, structured narrative business plans, extensive and detailed financial projections, collateral documentation, equipment lists, resumes and other documents as required.
– Builds and maintains relationships with small business support organizations, financial institutions, consultants and other public and private sector business resources partners.
– Develops and delivers workshops to pre-venture and existing business owners on startup fundamentals and other relevant business topics.
– Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field from an accredited institution.
– Two years’ relevant experience.
– Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of small business.
– Strong business computer skills, especially word processing, developing spreadsheets and database management.
– Demonstrated ability to develop and analyze financial statements.
– Working knowledge of techniques used in collecting and interpreting market and demographic data.
– Understanding of industries driving the Michigan economy.
– Ability to work independently, handle multiple assignments and establish work priorities.
– Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills.
– Strong organizational skills.
– Ability to work irregular shifts and extended hours, including weekends and holidays.
– Ability to travel to business clients throughout Southwest Michigan.
– Relevant industry certification.
REQUIRED APPLICANT DOCUMENTS
- Cover Letter highlighting your qualifications
- List of References
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION:
Terminal appointment ends 12/31/2023 with the possibility of renewal.
Staff Compensation System pay grades and rates are available using the URL below:
Western Michigan University offers generous benefits to its employees including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, retirement, and tuition discount for the employee and tuition remission for eligible dependents. To access information about the specific benefits available for this position, GO TO: